OOPS! This was supposed to be posted last week. I guess I got sidetracked...
This past week I have been doing some regular, old fashioned sewing. A couple of years ago I bought this dress
and this Japanese sewing pattern book
and some colorful fabric that sat in my cupboard and waited and waited... I wanted to use that fabric to make a dress similar to the one I bought, and I realized the Japanese pattern, with some modifications, would do the trick.
The hardest part was figuring out the right size pattern pieces to cut out, so I traced the bodice onto an old sheet and stitched that up. Oops, too small. I tried out another size with some other old fabric. Ooh, this one fit! And looked kind of cute - so I ended up going back to the sale at Fabric Depot and found a print that would work with my old print. (We're talking over 25 years old!) This will be the next dress I make.
Now it was time to cut into the real fabric and start sewing. I modified the skirt pattern by cutting into thirds to get the patchwork effect like the original inspiration. I kept the long sleeves from the Japanese pattern, but added contrasting bands at the edge. I also had fun with some decorative stitching! I found that working from the Japanese pattern book wasn't difficult at all - the well marked diagrams, and my own experience with sewing up dresses - got me quickly through the sewing.
Et voilà, the finished dress!
I found another enticing fabric at Fabric Depot that I couldn't resist, so I'll be making another dress from the pattern book soon.
But for now, I need to get busy making some pirates!